May 16, 2010

A Las Cruces Day – Breakfast

This is the first of a 21 part series on how I see a day going in LCNM after my retirement. Gotch ya! I am not going to write 21 parts about anything but I am going to write about my Las Cruces breakfast this morning.

It begins with a hot cup of Pinon coffee. It then moves to a homemade corn muffin (special thanks to MJ for this). This is how it is prepared. Muffin is sliced into three pieces, top to bottom. This gets you 3 different, hence exciting muffin choices. The bottom, crusted all around, acts like a cup to hold the spread. The middle, the oh so soft, mostly inside muffin goodness. Then there is the traditional muffin top. If I had my way, all muffins would be required to be muffin tops, no exceptions. For those unaware of muffin topper goodness, I think that the baking process raises all the sweetness and niceness that is muffin , to the top and adds a softer, non-crust like skin to it. Essence of muffin if you know what I mean.

Now to the morning preparation. Spread some butter or the like on each section (I use the heart healthy spread made with olive oil or fish oil or gulf coast oil, I forget which) and place it in the microwave for about 45 seconds (microwave time will vary, please consult you microwave manual for details about this step.) Finally a nice dollop of hot chile honey is added to each piece and allowed to melt into the muffin. Eat as quickly as possible then lick the plate clean (no, only kidding. I eat it slowly to savor it and then lick the plate…)

When served with Pinon coffee, out on the front porch looking at the forest, there is nothing better. Well we could be on the veranda looking at the NM mountains, that would be better.



2 comments:

clairz said...

Heart healthy, indeed. LOL.

Have we got a great new breakfast place for you! I'm going to write up our experience on the blog in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, go slow on that red chile honey until I have a chance to send some more!

Maqz said...

Ah, that ole' gulf margarine. But with British Petroleum, shouldn't you be drinking tea?

Seriously I don't much care for corn muffins, and my mouth is watering.