November 7, 2010

The Influenced Penguin: Bob Dylan

(This new series is posts about the people, places and things that have had significant influence on my life. Whether real or fictional, having had direct contact or not is less important than seeing how these people and events and situations have changed my life for the positive…Hope you enjoy reliving them with me.)

More than any other musician, more than any figure from the early sixties, more than any activist, I have been profoundly affected by the music and words of Bob Dylan. Perhaps it was the timing, perhaps the rebel spirit, perhaps the clear voice and heart on the sleeve, perhaps the 6 decades of doing “IT”, he embodies so much positive for me.

I first became aware of him in the mid sixties when I was about 10 years old. I was not too into music then but found a copy of “The Freewheeling Bob Dylan” in our house. I have no idea who it belonged to as my parents did not play records often. I think it might just have been something my dad, ever the hoarder and collector, found. It had among other classics, “Blowing in the Wind,” “Masters of War,” “A Hard Rain’s A-Gonna Fall,” and “I Shall be Free.” To be a borderline rebelling teen with music like this to drive me, is the essence of what Dylan meant at first. But then he changed and I changed with him.



In 1965 when he was the star performer at the Newport Folk Festival, Dylan upset the establishment by performing a set with an electric guitar. He was booed off the stage after three songs and subsequently, music reviewers castigated him for losing touch with his audience and fans and the “folkies”. His response was to immediately go back into the studio to record some of his most famous, driving, meaningful music ever with “Positively 4th Street,” “Like a Rolling Stone,” and his next two albums Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde. This was the double hammer, the ultimate “finger” to the critics and at the same time, beginning his “next” career, as a rock and roll icon, one that would continue to bring him the accolades of the industry and fan alike. For me, this change was unbelievable, a life changer. It helped me realize that the only one we need to please is yourself, and this is a lesson that has stuck with me ever since.

By the time I got to college in 1972 Dylan was entrenched in the music scene and in my playlist. Through my college years, I bought his albums which today remain as some of my very favorites – Planet Waves, Blood on the Tracks and Desire. (blogger note: If I had not become T Fab P and had the title Penguin Droppings fall into my lap thanks to my Brother-in-law’s creativity, the second choice for my blog title was going to be Blood on the Tracks. I still hope to use that one day!). At this time too I met a friend and eventual house mate Mike, now a priest, and certainly one of the biggest Dylan fans ever. We listen to his music, discussed his relevance and went to his concerts. We commiserated when our apartment was broken into and all his Dylan albums were stolen.

This influence has continued all of my life. I still look for information about what Dylan is doing and when the next album is due out. This influence is so strong that we named our son after him and CollegeBoy has accounted himself well in my book. He is progressive and caring and unafraid of change and challenges. He has lived up to his legacy’s name and gives me something to very proud of. A very positive influence on both accounts. Thank you Dylan.

No comments: