October 16, 2011

MassExodus October Update: Going, Going, GONE!!!

For the past two + years, we have had a dream. A simple one. We wanted to retire to New Mexico. The warm weather, the sense of adventure, the call of the desert, whatever, we had this dream. And for a long time, this dream seemed to be unattainable as were beset with roadblocks. Repairs and issues and poor housing market and the list goes on and on. The latest was the oil leak in our front yard, documented here, that made it seem less like a dream and more like a wish. The weather was changing, the house wasn’t selling and our frustrations constantly spilled out at each other.

During this darkest of times the last several weeks, random people, almost out of nowhere, said to me that good things were going to come and helped me feel better. Mrsfab and I started to look at some creative things we might do such as rent the house or rent to own it or anything to get that dream working. We had several people say they were interested but, there was always a BUT, the finances couldn’t work out or the oil spill scared them or something else got in the way. Then, last week, Mrsfabp had a Tarot Card reading. Do I believe in that sort of thing? No. Did it make her and thus me feel better? Yes. The cards said *(well, the reader said it, the cards just laid there…) that we needed some patience and that things were happening for us and we smiled and hoped but expected nothing. We have faced too many “If’s” to expect something different. And then out of the blue, there was a craigslist ad, a retired military family, needing some housing and in a blink, a deal was made. By mid November, we will be headed to Las Cruces.

WE ARE MOVING TO LAS CRUCES!!!



It is as if a giant stone has been lifted off of our backs. We have been staring at each other in disbelief and just shaking our heads and then breaking out in smiles. It is going to happen.

We started a list of things to do – packing things, moving things, doctor things, retirement things and have several pages of things that must be done before we leave our home for the last time on our way to a new adventure. We have people to see, places to go, miles to drive (2500+ a first educated guess.) There is going to be sweat and arguments and tears and goodbyes. There is going to be stops and starts, worries and carefree moments. There is going to be change but we like that.

The next 4 weeks (yes, we are beginning our adventure now and expect to leave for New Mexico in less than 30 days…) are going to be a whirlwind of activity. Our kids, our friends, our families will all experience something from this as well as we will. I’m scared. I’m nervous. I’m excited. We are moving to Las Cruces.

I really hope to continue to document this wonderful trip we call life but I imagine that it will be so time consuming that sometimes I won’t be able to write all about it, but I promise I will. Hey, I’m going to be retiring and will have some time on my hands.

In my next and subsequent posts for a while, I plan to flesh out the plans we have, post our trip itinerary and keep you updated about what is going on.

3 comments:

clairz said...

Doing the Happy Dance!!!

BZ said...

it's over 2600 miles if you come the southern route. we have the camper cleaned out and set up if needed :-)

Jill Hopman said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Let me know if I can help with anything! I am so so happy for you guys.