January 16, 2012

Random thoughts on a random day...

-We had a soaking rain last Sunday night, the first since we moved here, with howling winds, dropping temperatures and rain beating on the roof. By morning it had started to clear and by 1 pm, there was some sun. Most interesting was leaving the house and getting a glance of the Organ Mountains to the east, covered in snow. Just 45 minutes away, they were covered. I told our kids when they visited that the mountains look different every day based on the time, sun etc. Well today they were spectacularly different. I wished they had stayed one more day and could have seen it for themselves.

- Having a puppy around is like raising a child all over again. I am feeling sorry for Mrsfabp because Skippy follows her around and demands her attention for like12 hours a day. It all seems worth it however, when the two of them are snuggled up on the couch, sharing a blanket.

- Having a puppy around is like having a toddler. If you have not puppy-proofed your house, you will spend lots of time taking things like scarfs, Tupperware and newspapers away from him. Plus you cannot leave him alone anywhere near the cat litter box. Ever!

- I need a haircut and beard trim but am dreading getting a new barber. I went to the same barber for like 25 years in Massachusetts until he passed away (story here) and then went to the same on for the last couple of years I lived there. To me, a barber is a long term commitment. Oh and I do not go to “hair stylists”. Ever.

- I really like my new doctor a lot. He is laid back, positive and goes out of his way to explain things so I can understand it. He also listens. I wish all doctors were like that.

- We have like 7 cartons of leftover Mexican food from this past week when our kids visited. I like this. I don’t have stop and think or work hard to make lunch or a snack.

-Andele’s Dog House in Mesilla has a great outdoor/semi-indoor patio with TVs, heaters and quick access to the Salsa bar. Add Dos Equis on tap and I think I have found a new hangout. Stay thirsty my friends…

- Walking the Farmer’s Market on Saturday helped solidify my desire to do some creative stuff to try to sell there. I just need to work on the photographs a bit to get a nice representative group of them for cards and prints.

-Sonic booms are cool. I can remember having them when I was a kid growing up but more recently, they have been few and far between. The Sun-News said we were going to hear some here in Las Cruces this week and on Monday afternoon, one rattled the house something good. That was cool…

-Syracuse is the #1 men’s college basketball team in the country right now. The only real question is, when will they spit the bit and fall out of that spot. Their history is strong for that sort of thing…

-My long national nightmare has come to an end-Mrsfabp made me biscotti, after 29 years of begging. I’m not sure what it means that she made them the same night we made Clair Z’s doggie treats (see recipe here), but at least you should know that Skippy and I are both licking our lips…

-there is nothing quite so funny or irritating as seeing Skippy running through the living room with a ball or yarn or knitting project trailing behind. He has those wild eyes because he knows it is wrong but he is having way too much fun to care. I sort of have the same look although Mrsfabp will shoot us a quick, stern look and we pretty much stop what we were doing – him stealing, me laughing.

1 comment:

Max said...

I do go to hair stylists. Which, as you know, is utterly ridiculous, but there's no barber in my town.

To me the worst part is when the women stick me "oops" with the electric razor. On 0, it hurts. And they're just supposed to hold your head with one hand, to steady it, while they come in for a landing with the other. Barbers always held my head. (Don't go there, its cheap, and its beneath you!)

I haven't heard a sonic boom in 50 years. Jealous again. Why do we like sonic booms?

Dog chases? Dogs on linoleum? Fun!