January 29, 2013

A Serendipitous Affair

Last weekend a moment arrived that I have waited for. A full moon, rising over the Organ Mountains to the east, just around sunset. We loaded up my camera gear, put the Skippster on his leash and walked out the door, only to see clouds stack on clouds. I was disappointed for sure but we also planned to go to Caliche’s for ice cream and a poochie cone for Skippy so we had that ahead of us. I decided that I would take this opportunity to scout out a location and still accomplish something on this outing.

As we began to drive, the clouds moving a swirling in the strong winds and the ever changing lighting from the setting sun, began a spectacular show. It seemed like I was stopping about every 5oo feet to snap a picture or two. This culminated in a double rainbow, one that even impressed my friend Lou. The light on the mountain was changing by the second, due to the clouds in the west and the setting sun interacting. I shot a lot of nice photos and inclde a few here.








But this story did not end with the sunset. We arrived at one of my favorite spots in the desert, the wind pump in Baylor Canyon. This picture I took of it on a sunset evening won a ribbon at a camera club competition. 


However, this time I barely recognized it at all. It was spinning so fast, you could hear the metal creaking a quarter mile away. The angry clouds in the north east added an almost surreal feeling to this, and off in the distance a dust and rain storm approached. I quickly set up and under cover of the car rear hatch, started snapping pictures. I like these a great deal too. I will sometime soon publish them to an album on Facebook, so keep your eye out for it.





Wanted a moon rise that ended up being blocked out by clouds and a storm. Ended up with pictures of the mountains splashed with color and a scary wind pump. All followed by ice cream. Serendipitous for sure!

3 comments:

clairz said...

This makes me smile in the knowledge that you have ended up in the right place.

Anonymous said...

Patrick, these are brilliant - the drama in the Organ photos really makes me want to go (as does a lifetime of coveting the climbing on Western granite!)

And that shot of the windmill shot full of holes is worthy of AT LEAST the kudos it's gotten thus far - I'd shop it around for wider recognition and more loaves, if it were mine! :)

T Fab P said...

Thank you CRT. We have lots of space, lots of nice weather and lots of photographic opportunities so you should really plan a visit out this way. We'll put you up and spend the mornings and evenings making photos. We could even get you a gig teaching about the tilt shift process to our camera club here!