February 12, 2013

Promise of More Pictures

My last post focused on some photographs that I made during a storm here in Las Cruces. II have not published many of the photographs in this forum, usually depending on Facebook albums and Flickr albums to circulate them. I guess I am still sometimes dealing with comparing myself to other photographers I know and don’t feel as if I am their league. This is something I have been trying hard to work on. It is why I joined the Camera Club, to be able to one day realize my photographs are in the same league. It was why I volunteered to teach in the symposium last November as it served as a review of things I know, things I never knew, and things long forgotten. Extending it into the Digital Camera Workshop Series, continues to give me good ideas and a very sturdy platform from which to learn more.

Perhaps thought, the most important factor has been practice. “In Outliers: The Story of Success  a non-fiction book written by Malcolm Gladwell, Gladwell examines the factors that contribute to high levels of success. To support his thesis, he examines the causes of why the majority of Canadian ice hockey players are born in the first few months of the calendar year, how Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates achieved his extreme wealth, how The Beatles became one of the most successful musical acts in human history, how Joseph Flom built Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom into one of the most successful law firms in the world, how cultural differences play a large part in perceived intelligence and rational decision making, and how two people with exceptional intelligence, Christopher Langan and J. Robert Oppenheimer, end up with such vastly different fortunes. Throughout the publication, Gladwell repeatedly mentions the "10,000-Hour Rule", claiming that the key to success in any field is, to a large extent, a matter of practicing a specific task for a total of around 10,000 hours. (Wiki)”

In an average year, one of the the last several, I would take about 500 pictures. In this past year, I have taken close to 3000. I don’t know how to gauge the time in this, nor how to include classes, both as teacher and student, and camera club time, a place where I have learned a great deal. I am sure I am not close to 10,000 hours but I am building up the time and I am making progress.

So, in order to continue to improve, I will be posting some pictures here on a regular basis, whatever I am shooting. If people want to comment on these, please feel free as constructive criticism is always worthwhile. Now, as for pictures, today I am posting some from tthe last few weeks, some dried red peppers, a llama, a cat in therapy and an old wagon. Hope you enjoy!







No comments: