January 24, 2010

A few simple thoughts about retirement...

Back when I started working for the state of Massachusetts in 1983, I can remember
someone pointing out that they would retire in the year 2000. When I heard that I was curious, and looked at just how long it would be before I thought about retiring. I was at a real disadvantage however. Most of the people who worked where I did had started there when they were 18 to 21 years of age if you add 35 years to that you get the famous Massachusetts formula 55/35 which gets you a full pension. For me to get a full pension, I would have to work until I was 64. That was not going to happen. I started late working for the state but I was not working until I was 64 to be fully vested in the pension program.I wanted to have some fun when I retired. Take pictures, read, write, possibly play with my grandchildren. That seemed so long ago.

Many things have changed in the years since I began working for the state. My health, is probably the most significant. Losing a leg four years ago changed every thing for me. One thing that did not change however was the desire to have some time to have fun. I would like to spend some time with my wife. I'd like to take some photographs. I'd like to write, this blog for example. I want to read more. I'd like to see new things. Have a few new beers, make some beer. Over the last few years I have tried some other hobbies to find things to fill what time. There were those classes where I worked with clay but I've never been good with my hands and I looked at that as an abject failure. Right now I'm on a kick to try and make some jewelry and I see a little more potential in this. My beer making experiment has been extremely successful. So much to do, not as much time to do it. I am always surprised when I hear people say that they are afraid they will be bored after they retire. I'm not sure if this is fear of the unknown or a revelation about the shallowness of some people's lives. It's like the person who wins a big lottery prize and makes that statement that they want to continue to work. It doesn't make sense to me. Why pass up the opportunity to enrich your life. There is so much out there. That isn't about money, it's about survival. I want to survive. I think retirement will be a sort of rejuvenation, like getting a second wind. so, in this blog I will continue with my random thoughts about retirement, my life planning and how I got where I am.

2 comments:

clairz said...

Pat, I sure do like your attitude. I think that enthusiasm and interest both contribute to a long and happy life.

I am loving retirement. The longer I am retired, the more interests I find. My list of things to do, to explore, to learn about, and to read just keeps expanding and expanding. I only wish I had another lifetime to do it all!

College Student said...

Great post - I am all for the jewelry making- how about an Etsy account, start selling it!

Maybe thats just the business in me though. where or where did that come from?