April 29, 2011

I need to create a New Mexico Bucket List



Most people are probably familiar with the Rob Reiner film “Bucket List” with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson. It is the story of two terminally ill men who leave a cancer ward and head off on a road trip with a wish list of to-dos before they die. I admit up front I have not seen it but do want to. I also admit that I am not saying I want to create a list of things to do before I die.

Rather, both Mrsfabp and I see our lives right now as an adventure, an adventure in many different parts. After the parts about our childhoods and school years and early adult lives, we found each other. Some may even say saved each other. And then the real adventure began. Living together and getting to know each other was one. Deciding to leave NYC and move to the country was another. Deciding to have and raise two great kids was another. My own medical issues, still another. And now, we have an opportunity to take part in another adventure, together, and are raring to go. The plan to retire to New Mexico, away from our families, friends and the place where we lived the last 30 years is not one made lightly. It is a decision born of much thought, discussion and chance, wrapped up in enough emotion to power a small city for weeks on end. But it is our decision, one we have not taken lightly.

One thing that really drives us right now is the chance to explore. I am not comparing us to Columbus or da Gama but really, when one thinks about it, this is a trek into the unknown. We won’t have to barter with the natives (though we might) and we don’t have to worry about storms at sea but still the intrigue and lure of a new culture is so very exciting. This is why I think I need to create my own bucket list for the adventure, to make sure that I see what I want to see and experience what I want to experience, along with mrsfabp, my life partner. I’ll miss my family and friends and even New England at times but I don’t want to miss this adventure either. Next post, I will start my own New Mexico bucket list…Time is “a wasting.”

5 comments:

BZ said...

starters---The Owl; La Vina; Nellie's (8:00AM every Sat---join us!!!); the bosque; dripping springs. and that's a partial for L C---you really need to see pecos, shiprock, the jornada----it'll be so much fun!!!!!!!!this is truly a land of enchantment-----------

clairz said...

Bring beer. We'll barter, though not natives.

T Fab P said...

You guys have never mentioned the Las Cruces Vasqueros - they still play right? You not into minor league baseball or just don't have time in your retirement...tooo busy! lol

clairz said...

Their season just started today. Hurry up and move here and you can provide a guest room for one of the team.

Curtain Cleaning Pasadena said...

Appreciate youur blog post