April 25, 2011

Why so serious?




You have had one of those events, one that leaves you in a cold sweat, dry mouth, shaking all over, nerves frazzled to the bitter end. Maybe you have witnessed a car accident, a close call for you. You white knuckle the steering wheel, your breath shallow and forced, as you wait for your heart rate to return to something a cardiologist can live with. Maybe you have witnessed someone being hurt or injured and the thoughts that that could have been you make your antiperspirant work overtime. Well I had one of those times this Saturday when we put our home on the real estate market.

Our agent saw our house about 2 months ago for the first time and gave us a list of things to do. We spent much of the last 10 weeks painting, cleaning, planning, remodeling, repairing, decluttering. and generally working ourselves into a frenzy. She came back on Friday night and was astonished at the transformation- then gave us a new list of things to do. She returned on Saturday, thick pile of forms and papers in hand, has us sign and initial enough places to wish I had a shorter name and left us a sign and a lock box for a house key.

It is done. Things are falling into place. There still is so much to do, I find it sort of depressing that all we do is talk about things we need to do, phone calls to make, items to purchase and check lists to create and cross items off of. But, it is done. They say the first few weeks are the most important and our realtor has a plan in place for us but I will fight the urge to get worried or depressed or give up hope. I will not count the days or hours or minutes. I will paint the needs to be painted, clean the needs to be cleaned and call the needs to be called. I will continue to make my life clutter free even if my mind continues to be uber-cluttered. I will hope for the best.

2 comments:

clairz said...

Hooray, it's on the market. I know all the work that has gone into this, believe me.

Funny that you should mention lists of things to do. Bill and I have been through all that and I want you to know that you WILL come out on the other side. Yesterday we were out on the patio, sipping wine and looking at the mountains. I said, "Well, Bill, what's next?" We started to laugh when we both realized that all the items on all the lists have been checked off. The only things on our list at the moment are:
1)Kick back
2)Enjoy!

You'll get there (here), don't worry.

Derek D said...

Lovely blog thanks for taking the time to share this.