April 11, 2011

Why is this?

Why is it that the thought about moving creates the need to get a dog? Let me explain the connection in my life.

Mrsfabp has been almost whining that when we get to New Mexico she wants to get a dog. Not a manly type dog like Irish setter or Labrador, but one of those whiney little fur balls, the kind that constantly yap, sit on your lap and weigh less that a good loaf of wheat bread. No, not a rat dog, one of those terrier mix things with the fuzzy faces. Just what I need, one of those crumb runners, constantly under foot, nipping at my only ankle, interrupting the quiet. Needing to go out, riding in the car, going to the vets for every sniffle. I don’t get it.

CollegeBoy is planning for his future and will be in Manhattan this summer. He wants to go to work there next year and get an apartment, maybe in the Park Slope area of Brooklyn with his girlfriend, MissNicole. No sooner had he revealed this plan then he started talking about a dog, a boxer they both fell in love with. They have pictures, are picking through craigslist for an apartment that is dog friendly, have a name, Bomber (good one I admit) and even have made some sort of doggie babysitting arrangement with a friend Matt down in the city. I just don’t get it.



Look, I’m not an anti dog person or an anti dog people person (is that alliteration or what?) I had a dog all the years I was growing up. Lots of our friends have dogs. Our friends in Las Cruces have a plethora of them, a gaggle of yappers, a house full of hounds and that is fine. But as I always said when my friends were starting their family, the best part about your kids is that at 9 pm I go home and they stay here… Look, I’m old, tired and getting ready to retire. A nice kitty cat is all the companion that I need after Mrsfabp. And quieter too. For me there is nothing better than sitting with a cat on your lap, listening to it purr and snore. If it was a dog there would be drool to deal with and God knows, doggie farts. I really just don’t get it.



(NOT an incredible representation of Mrsfabp and myself, just a clip art!)

Sorry folks, I’ll stick with my kitty and be happy…

2 comments:

BZ said...

fp, read the pirate dogs blog, especially the bios of these fine creatures. And as for LC, mrsfp is right--there is nothing like a chihuahua or chihuahua cross. gotta get a mexican dog here!!! we just finished a week with the 2 cousin canines staying as well!!! and all it took was the commans "nargle" and "shuttle" and all 6 went to their respective crates and behaved admirably!!!! hanging out with pablo and weetz will convert you when you come out.

clairz said...

First you malign our beloved Sox, and now you refer to our pups as "a gaggle of yappers." I'm speechless, and Weetzie is growling ominously. Only ankle, indeed!

Good thing I totally agree with you. I'm not even a dog person. However, I do have to point out that people are guilty of all the things you say that dogs do--needing to go out, wanting to ride around in the car, whining constantly (just listen to the news), sniffling, drooling, and farting.