February 28, 2010

The Great SouthWest Passage aka Chronicles of Las Cruces: Part 7 - "Speaking Spanish..."

It surprises me how many people do not realize New Mexico is part of the United States based on questions I have been asked when I stated I was going there.




“Do you need a passport?” was one. “Can you drink the water?” another. “Do you speak Spanish?” was one that makes sense. Given the fact that the majority of the population is Native American and Mexican, speaking the language would have some advantages.

To the rescue comes mrsfabp! I must admit I was looking forward to the cultural shock. Spanish is such a pretty language even if it was well beyond the capabilities of a college student in 1975 (yea, that is me…). Little did I know however that I was married to Sonia Sotomayor. We got off the plane in El Paso, Texas and after a nice lunch, we were picked up by the hotel shuttle van to get us there for the evening, leftover nachos and burrito in tow. Our driver spoke no English and I was anticipating a quiet drive. Suddenly Ms. Sotomayor/mrsfabp is talking in Spanish, asking the name of the mountain range ahead in the distance, asking if the driver was working tomorrow (to drive us back) and commenting on the relative handsomeness of her husband (yes, me again) . To say I was shocked is an understatement.

She was good and deserving of some props.

Now I only hope she can make us some good Mexican food favorites….

1 comment:

clairz said...

We've been having fun trying out our Spanish with El SeƱor del Aguacate, as we call the man who sells avocados down at the corner of Alameda and Three Crosses Ave. He is very patient and pleased that we give it a try. Buck is way better and more courageous than I am (just like Mrs. FabP) but I am learning a bit every time I go for aguacates y tomates y naranjas. Best produce we've found here so far, by the way.