March 2, 2010

The Great SouthWest Passage aka Chronicles of Las Cruces: Part 8 – “Pat down Pat…”

I do not like to fly. Make no mistake, this is a Penguin truism. We do not like to fly. There are lots of things I would rather do than fly – a hemorrhoidectomy comes to mind. I just don’t like the thought of being herded onto a giant metal tube and going 36,000 feet into the air at 600 miles per hour to get anywhere. Give me 4 wheels, 80 miles per hour and rubber touching the road any day.

We flew both to and from New Mexico, leaving on 6 am flights, necessitating being at the airport by 5 am. Well, LGA in NY and ELP in El Paso, Texas are very different airports in very different cities but the procedures were essentially the same. I am an amputee which means I cannot go thru the standard screening machine – too much metal. I got a cane and a titanium post in my artificial leg so that is a no go. If you go on the TSA site they tell you that you get to have “special handling” Yea, that’s the ticket, special.

I get to have an overall scan, sitting in a giant Lucite box, like one of those carnival goldfish. Everyone else is walking by, staring a bit. The only thing missing is having someone tossing ping pong balls into the box to win themselves a penguin. After this I am asked to extend my arms and undergo a complete (and I mean COMPLETE!) pat down by a gloved, security officer. Male of course. A female security person may have made it more exciting but no can do. He asks in a soft voice if I have any areas that are more sensitive than others and I long to tell him but figure that might not be a good idea. It takes a couple of minutes until he is satisfied I have no weapons, explosives or contraband. They then use a cotton patch and swab my shoes as well as my fake leg, pants bottom and my hands and take it to a machine to test.

(Click to embiggen / Thanks JD)

Without even a smile, I’m told I can go on my way. You figure that he could at least nod approvingly after subjecting me to the “pat down” but no, he is just doing his job. I do not blame him, I blame the terrorists for putting us in this situation and realize this is just another way they have won but I subject myself to the violation and am compliant and polite and friendly throughout.

Ah, to be back in that sporty little rental, doing 80 miles per hour across the desert floor. Now that’s traveling!

5 comments:

BZ said...

Albuquerque Sunport has a whole body scanner. As someone with a knee replacement, that thing is a joy!!! No pat down, just go in there and it's done. Makes the line flow better too.I'm afraid I just don't get the privacy concerns---Unfortunately we didn't just lose towers on 9/11 but quite a few of our rights, including privacy....

clairz said...

I can remember when flying was something special. You got dressed up and got to have gin on the plane. If someone had told me back then that some day we would be subjected to all kinds of indignities in the airport, I wouldn't have believed it. I can hardly believe it now. Actually, I just avoid the whole thing. If I can't get there by car or by train, I'm pretty much not going.

What a shame.

On the other hand, you had me laughing out loud with some of this stuff, Peng! Do we get to vote for our favorite post?

T Fab P said...

Clairz there is that Gin again! If I didn't know better I would think you were one of those "flappers"! And speaking of trains, have you ever ridden the "Rail Runner Express". It seems like a great way to travel up to Santa Fe. Could be another road trip after the Yellowstone adventure...

Mary Hulser said...

I LOLed at this one, too. But it sure was a wonderful trip, despite the few hassles.......keep plannin, Peng!

College Student said...

love it - keep up the good work.