April 29, 2010

A Care Package from New Mexico

A box arrived in the mail yesterday. Plain on the outside, it gave no clue as to the party that was waiting inside except for the return address, LCNM. Our friends there had sent us a care package, a “don’t forget about this place” package, a “can’t wait until you get here” package, and I still cannot wipe the smile off my face.

Inside it was like Christmas, like a surprise birthday extravaganza, a special something cache, all for us. What could produce this much excitement? Well first off was a bottle of hot chile honey. HOT CHILE HONEY! I’m not a tea drinker, but I know a great toast topping if I've ever seen one. MillieJupiter and I made her first loaves of homemade bread last weekend (a pioneer woman’s EASY recipe) that was great and I am going to have to get her to help make it again. I am as happy as Pooh in a honey tree!

Next in the box was some mysterious green powder marked “green chile powder, EXTRA HOT”. I'm wondering if this is a threat or a promise, or simply a warning. We will have to sit when planning next week’s meals and figure out a good place to try it. Perhaps I will make some more of the green chile sauce we had put on hamburgers here. I can’t get great peppers for roasting here yet so this might be the spice to give it some added heat.

The final item in the box, perhaps in the saved the best for last category, was a pound of Pinon coffee. Yes, that delectable drink of the gods I may have indicated I liked and missed from our trip in February. More valuable than gold, it will be lovingly stored in the freezer, brought out for special times like EVERY WEEKEND when I drink my awakener on the front patio communing with nature. I bet it goes well with toast/English muffins and hot chile honey too. Perhaps “Beary” will get a whiff and come a runnin’…

Thanks Clair and Bill and AB, and the Pirate Dogs for the treasures. They will not go to waste.

5 comments:

clairz said...

Just in case you didn't get the email message I sent some time ago, here it is:

Just a word of warning: One of the things in the package is some x-tra hot green chile powder. To get an appreciation of its power, dip the end of your dry finger into the powder and taste it. DO NOT WET your finger first, or you will get way too much. Just touch the dry finger to the powder and then to your tongue. Have a glass of milk standing by.

It will seem that this is way too much firepower to even think of using, but if you get a little salt or pepper shaker to keep the powder in, you will find that it is delicious when shaken sparingly over scrambled eggs, meat, or whatever.


I am so pleased at your reaction about the package. I'm smiling, and wishing we could sample the stuff along with you!

BZ said...

or shake it not so sparingly-------except you need to conserve it until 1) you get here or 2) you beg us to send more :-)

BZ

Maqz said...

How cool to have such good friends waiting for you at a new place.

Good for you!

Maqz said...

Hey ... what was that about Birthday?!?

Maqz said...

Good job on the blog, Penguin. Sorry I didn't keep up with it.