April 5, 2010

Watching Baseball Today

One of the real enjoys of my life is watching a baseball game, and there is nothing quite like watching the opening game of a new season. All that is winter is gone. All those memories of poor past performances are wiped away and replaced by the optimism of youth. That youthful feeling is spring and this day is better than all others.

In the T Fab household, we watch baseball, Yankee baseball. That can be hard, given our geographic location, in the heart of Red Sox nation but we watch it, trust me. Probably my best memories of watching baseball, after going to games with my grandmother when I was a kid, are the memories of watching and talking baseball with my kids – CollegeBoy and MillieJupiter. It has gotten more difficult over the years as they grew up and had other important things to do like college. Imagine being more interested in college than watching baseball…

This was of some concern to me because of the plan for Mrsfabp and myself to move to LCNM. Sure, I know I will be able to still watch the games (we have our ways, muhahahaha!) but how will we watch the games together. Well last night I got a glimpse of that future and it made me smile.

Yankees vs. Boston opening night, check!
MillieJupiter in living room watching game with computer in her lap, check!
T Fab sitting with an iTouch at the ready, check!
CollegeBoy at College with laptop in place, check!
Twitter at the ready, check!
Live tweeting the Yankee game is on!

The game begins and the 140 character twitter messages are flying. We comment on the green grass, the jet flyover, the dumb 5 year old giving the Herb Brooks hockey speech rewritten (manipulated) into a Sox rant, the strikeouts, the hits, the back to back homers, even the atrocious rendition of “God Bless America” by Steven Tyler. Yes, it was a “communication-palooza” if I have ever seen one. Sure, it was rough around the edges as we (and by we here I mean me) struggled with the technology (the auto correct feature kept changing the spelling of ARod to Arid. It’s not a perfect system yet).

At one point CollegeBoy said this was just like old times except we weren’t drinking beers. I reminded him that he might not have a cold one in hand, being underage and all, but I did. And this is how we watched the game. This is how we experienced the game. Together, all together.

As I sit here writing this, I imagine a giant “Yankee Twitter Party” with lots of commentators – CollegeBoy, MJ, Maqz, Manhattan Man (see the Countless Screaming Argonauts Podcast, available for free on iTunes). Maybe even a few extended Penguin family members or Mrsfabp will toss out a comment or two.

3 comments:

clairz said...

Hold on, there, were you all in the same room?

T Fab P said...

MJ and I were together but CollegeBoy was at school. it was a trial run. MJ was mostly just reading the tweets while doing other stuff on the internet. It was fun, despite the results...

Maqz said...

Ah, relaxing like old times. What will the grandkids be doing when the kids tell them about the good ole days of twitter!?

[Shakily] "I remember ... those days when grandpa and the rest of us were tweeting each other as we watched the game ... In those days you still had to TYPE to send a message! I know it was a hundred years ago ... but it was still fun!"