December 2, 2010

Apartment living – the agony and the ecstasy...

Every Sunday we get an email from our Las Cruces Realtor, Todd, with a listing of the houses that have recently been put on the market there. Mrsfabp looks at them while she is at the Sports centre desk and then when she gets home we look at them together. We still do this despite the fact that our own home situation (failed septic, failed well and failed economy) mean that we will not have the money for a down payment any longer. We can still dream though and each Sunday brings lots of pictures of homes it is easy to picture ourselves in.

In moments of brutal honesty (we had one this week) we realize that apartment living is in our future and although this is not the future I envisioned, it is the place I envisioned and so we will do what we must to get there. I had thought at one time building a new home was our goal and even last February while in Las Cruces, we looked at several builders and their model homes. However as the spring turned into summer and we talked to several realtors here, it became obvious that this was not going to happen. The market is poor, the house value has dropped, yada, yada, yada…

As I think about apartment living, there are surely positives and negatives. I have lived in a place not my own for about 4 years total of my 35 adult years. I hate having a landlord, hate that things are not mine, hate the feeling of not being settled in. However then when we have problems in our home like needing a new well or water heater or septic system, I think how much of a hassle it is and wish someone else would take care of that sort of thing. To bad they don’t have somewhere you can live and other people are responsible for the repairs and upkeep. Oh, wait…

So, that is our goal, our quest as it were. We check Craigslist and the Internet weekly for apartments and dream the dream of a move. When all is said and done, I guess there place is not the most important factor. It will be where I am, who I am with, being near friends and enjoying some relaxing things like writing and taking photos and relaxing. Until then I will continue to practice my retirement sometimes, spending days reading and writing and making photo cards and trying the newest hobby of making some jewelry and see what happens.

3 comments:

BZ said...

at least some of the apartments have good mountain views----f & h love their life style after having a house in maine and all the upkeep. they made the decision that the upkeep of a house wasn't worth it. much as we love the mud shack, we are still dealing with issues from that storm in july and the minor aggravations that go with home ownership. so it's easy to see and appreciate your position. the best part is being here in L C, either way, and we look forward to the time when you two will join us

clairz said...

Yep, I second Bill's comment. Just this morning at 7:30 AM we welcomed in The Beautiful Eduardo (my name for our rather decorative plumber) so that he could wrestle with our testy toilet. This time it was all my fault--I flushed the leftover stuffed jalapenos and only saw the toothpicks when it was too late. I dove and grabbed (I'm not proud) but I know that some made it partway down the pipe, plugging up the works with hot peppers.

If we lived in an apartment, no explanation would have been necessary. As it was, T. B. Eduardo just laughed and relieved us of 80 + dollars, and all before breakfast.

Fred and Helen were probably out bird watching.

T Fab P said...

Thanks guys for the words of support. This has been one of the more difficult things to deal with personally but is nice to hear words of encouragement anytime, believe me. Miss you guys and look forward to our Las Cruces moments!