December 13, 2010

What’s Buggin’ the Penguin

On our podcast, Countless Screaming Argonauts, Maqz and I have a regular feature, called “What’s bugging Maqz and the Penguin” where we talk about the things thrown at us during our days which bother us. For example, recently Maqz went off on the fact that McDonalds, a multinational trillion dollar company tries to guilt you into donating a dollar to whatever their most recent charity is while making billions of dollars in profits. So I was at the Mall Christmas browsing this past weekend and ran into several things that just bug the crap out of me and thought I would take a few minutes to spread the “cheer” so to speak.

I do not mind body art/piercings/tattoos on people within reason. As a matter of fact, I think a little butterfly or similar thing can be sexy, a cartoon character interesting or even memory invoking. CollegeBoy has one, a quiet one and I like it. No problem for me as long as they are not over the top. However, I saw two at the mall that made me throw up a bit in my mouth. One was a teenager who had a “Bar code” tattoo under his ear on his neck. The other was an adult who had shaved off his eyebrows and had two words tattooed in their place. Before you ask, no I didn’t get close enough to see what the words were (perhaps IamAn Asshole?) That would have pushed me over the edge.

Where has all our sanity gone folks? We are using the elevator at the mall. It is small, a glass enclosed one, traveling slowly. Soft holiday music is playing over the speakers to set the mood along with the holiday decorations one sees through the windows. A woman gets on and spends the ride time talking loudly on her cell phone about the behavior of her child, to what we can all only assume is a psychologist or other parent. The poor kid is standing there listening to her behavior being berated. Finally the woman says, "Here, you talk to her" and hands her child the phone. As you can imagine, the child has little to say as I am sure she is getting a dressing down here. People, leave the drama at home. We do not need to hear your opinions on child rearing, ungratefulness or rude behavior. Talk about calling the kettle black!

Finally, we went for a late lunch at a chain pizza mall restaurant, sitting down to relax a bit. Mrsfabp and I shared a beer. They had Sam Adams on tap, always a good choice as well as Sam Adams Winter, another good choice. I saw at least two people in the restaurant order Sam Adams in a bottle. IDIOTS! There is tap beer. It is fresh, not made weeks ago and stored for who knows how long. Tap beer… It brought a tear to my eye. I’m surprised they didn’t order Bud Light or some other pisswater beer. Guys, it's Sam Adams. On tap. Good beer…

This concludes my rant for the day.

1 comment:

BZ said...

and the mistake is going to the mall-----malls are where the lowest dregs of society keep out of the cold. what would one expect to find there??? at least the pizza chain had decent brew--i think the one in the mall here has a choice of bud light or coors light which means the obvious order is ice tea..........