May 13, 2011

MASS Exodus: Spring Update, May 2011

It has been a while and lots of things are happening here so I figured I would update where we are now in the process. So here goes.

Number one priority, the house has been put on the market. After discussion with our realtor, we decided to put the house up with a higher price than we expected to get such that there was some wiggle room and area for givebacks related to the work that must be done on the home – the new septic system and new roof. These two jobs come with written estimates totaling about $21K. After two weeks we had two people look at the house, remark about the work needed to be done along with updating and cosmetic work, and pass. Our realtor has now proposed a change in strategy, where we market it as a rehab project, with a much lower price. This makes some sense to us but of course is a blow to our ego as we struggle with things like overpriced and updating. We also have decided to put the last of our funds into getting rid of our underground oil tank, moving it to our basement. Banks giving mortgages frown on underground oil tanks even though ours was certified by our oil company because we are on an auto fill system and they had to pressurize it to make sure of the size when calculating the monthly bill. Other things already accomplished or in process – Front bay window, repaired, broken bedroom window fixed and put back in, shed doors replaced, new shed rafters to be done this weekend, washing out of basement, Saturday afternoon job, new grass by new well, planted. Grass in yard cut. The list is endless, endless I say.

I have to admit that Mrsfabp and I have been having difficulty with all the stress this is creating. We are short with each other, generally grumpy about it all and having some trouble on the communication front. However, these are usually short lived and we work through it all pretty quickly but it is there and a pain and we keep trying to be supportive of each other through this all. This process sucks and we both recognize that.

Now onto some more stressful stuff, my own retirement. I finally completed my paperwork for a retirement date, including the request for a reclassification. The reclassification was a necessary thing as this state does not recognize clinical work as direct service. This could be a 10% difference in my monthly pension. At least 7 clinicians that have retired in the last 2 years have applied for it and gotten it but to me, the stress of waiting is immense and just has me worried. To top this off, there is a new bill introduced into the Massachusetts senate to offer an early retirement incentive. They have been trying to get the workers in the 50-60 year old range out of the jobs because the newer workers pay more toward retirement, thus building up the retirement account. Sounds good to me, as if I need extra incentive to retire. This just gets to be a problem with the timing of both the house sale, move plan and retirement date.

Just what I need a bit more stress. By the time July comes I am going to need a green chile cheeseburger and craft beer badly. At least I will be able to get one in Las Cruces.

No comments: