July 2, 2012

A dream come true?


When I was about 10 years old (I know that was the age because I remember my bedroom at the house and we moved soon after), I used to have this recurring dream. In it, my parents were talking to players from the New York Yankees and they were inviting them to stay at our house. About 6 of them accepted the offer and moved in. I only remember two of the players – Yogi Berra and Joe Pepitone. They were always around the house, playing catch with my brother and I and talking baseball. For a ten year old, this had to have been the most epic of dreams. I am not sure how I could have topped this.

Fast forward to Las Cruces, 2012. Mrsfabp was reading the local paper and came across an ad for the Las Cruces Vaqueros minor league baseball club. In the ad it said they were looking for some host families. These guys are pursuing a dream, playing baseball and not making much money on the off chance they would get seen by a scout and make it to a major league’s team roster some day. She read the ad to me and we sort of looked at each other for a moment. We have a spare bedroom, plenty of time on our hands and live close to the stadium. An email and a couple of phone calls later, we were getting our very own Vaquero.

Wanting to respect his privacy, I will not mention a name. Suffice it to say he played college ball, was set to get looked at by the Oakland A’s and then broke his leg. Having recovered, this is the first step of his to pursue that dream again. For me, it is those dreams coming true.

BusinessBoy played baseball through out his high school years and I miss going to his games and later on discussing what happened in it with him. In a way, this Vaquero has helped smooth over missing BB and missing his ball playing. We invited a couple of our Vaquero’s teammates over for a meal or two and just spent time talking about all sorts of baseball things, from home run hitting to poor umpiring. It feels nice to do that again and it even feels better to do something for our new community.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beats getting a puppy!

i had a dream a long time ago - you'll know how long ago in a minute - where I was at home in Jersey and Peg came up the stairs and said "I brought some friends to see ya." And in walked Wade Boggs, Jim Leyritz and Derek Jeter. And i asked them if they wanted a beer, knowing full well there was no beer in the house - and, of course when i pened the fridge there were like 18 frosty Heinekens in there. (And that will surely prove it to be a dream!)

Maqz said...

So. You get to retire, hang out with a bunch of nice like minded people who share your individual values, and you get to talk baseball with real baseball players.

I'm not jealous. I'm not jealous.

I'm gonna tell you MY dream, but I'm not jeoulus.

Maqz said...

Uh. I'm NOT gonna tell you my dream! Oh nevermind ...