July 22, 2012

Help! I’m Trapped in a Parallel Universe


I should have known something was amiss. In looking back, the clues for a rip in the space/time continuum were there. I cannot believe I missed both clues.

The first was an abrupt weather change. One day it was hot and dry, 107 degrees and 8% humidity and the very next day it was 91 degrees with almost 40% humidity, a tad uncomfortable. Our always blue skies suddenly had clouds in them (more on that in a different post), big, white puffy clouds that built up during the day, turning grayer and flattening out until the distant rumbles of thunder could be heard. We then had several days in a row that ended with thunderstorms and about an inch and a half of rain in about 5 days. We started getting flash flood warnings on weatherbug. A rip was obviously starting.

The second clue was much more subtle but it was there. We go to Nellie’s for breakfast every Saturday. Haven’t missed any since we arrived in Las Cruces. We have become regulars. Mrsfabp has a breakfast named for her – huevos rancheros, scrambled, with green meat. She has it almost every time. Our friend Bill has a Bill Special too. He NEVER has anything else. His wife Clair and I change up every few visits. We might be called adventurous, or maybe indecisive. One day recently in an email about something entirely different, Clair offhandedly mentioned that she was needing something different. I missed that clue. Went right over my head. Completely forgot about it. Then, last Saturday, when the orders were brought to the tables (we were a group of 8 that day), Josie, the waitress and co-operator of Nellie’s said “who got the French Toast and bacon?” I dropped my fork to the table and looked around, only to see Josie put the dish in front of Clair and Clair was smiling. Clair got the french toast. But this was Nellie’s. You eat Mexican food at Nellie’s. She got french toast and bacon at a MEXICAN RESTAURANT! IN LAS CRUCES!




This was all the proof I needed. I expect the zombie apocalypse to begin at any time now. We are doomed, there will be no turning back. By the way, she did it again this Saturday. My faith in humanity is now officially shaken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will posit that since this is your first NM monsoon session, that you and nellie, et al, have yet to establish a complete cycle. Next year, at tarantula time, if Nellie doesn't order french toast, THEN you have a problem. Get a year behind you, gather the data.

- MM