March 4, 2010

The Great SouthWest Passage aka Chronicles of Las Cruces: Part 10 - "The Sonic Adventure..."

Let me begin by stating that I love Sonic. I know, I know, due to my WONDERFUL health, I can eat fast food whenever I want (NOT!). No, this is a special treat, few and far between which makes the experience even more special.

Now, you may wonder why the attachment, the pure glee at the Sonic. I think it comes from several different factors. First and foremost, absence makes the heart grow fonder – there are no Sonics in the northeast. I first had it when we traveled to the outer banks some 6-7 years ago. Secondly, I love the drive in and food delivery style. I can remember growing up when the White Castle (yes, the belly bomber king!) had delivery to the car service where they brought the food on a tray that attached to your car window. Now, everything is drive thru and there is a nostalgia factor driving this feeling.

(Click Pix to embiggen...)

There are Sonics all over New Mexico and I knew ahead of the trip that this would be a stop. The only question was when. We were enjoying all the Mexican food and didn’t want to miss another burrito opportunity but one day when returning from Cloudcroft, the day of the roadrunner sighting, we planned to go to one.

This meant driving thru the heart of Fast Food Hell in Alamogordo at lunch time. There were thousands of people, driving hundreds of cars, stopping at millions of places along the restaurant parkway known as downtown Alamogordo. We spotted one, drove in and like the obvious tourists we were, took about 10 minutes to peruse the menu. People, this is not rocket science but it was a treat and required careful considerations.

First issue – cheeseburger or surprise! Chile cheeseburger. Look Sonic does not make the top 10 list for Best of GCCB Shows but now I am spoiled and so I NEED green chile on my burger. So GCCB it is. I must say this was a good choice as the chilies on the burger make a great combination so my new mantra is “Even a bad green chile cheese burger is better than no cheeseburger at all.” The Sonic GCCB is not great but it gets a passing grade.

Second issue – fries or onion rings. Easy decision, this is a special trip, BOTH! And lets throw in an order of Poppers – jalapeƱo peppers stuffed with cheese and given the French fry treatment. Good choice! (Sorry doctor, I will be better on my return to Massachusetts – nothing but broccoli and salads for me.

Third issue is drink. I am somewhat caffeine sensitive, I think, and nothing spoils my rest more than some mid afternoon caffeine. It is 2:30 pm so we are on the cusp of trouble here. Complicated by the caffeine factor, I go with the Diet Dr. Pepper. Who needs sleep anyway, I’m on vacation.

Thus our dining experience is complete. I got my Sonic, I got my GCCB, I GOT IT ALL! Thanks Sonic…


One final note - we were at the Sonic and suddenly realized we were surrounded by New Mexican youth. School must have let out and everyone was having a Sonic day. How quaint!

4 comments:

clairz said...

You're still making me laugh, Peng.

BZ said...

"....I am spoiled and so I NEED green chile on my burger.."
WRONG----Peng, you are not "spoiled"--you are like all the rest of us---ADDICTED to Green Chile----I know it's considered a "myth" but I still think capsaicin addition is real------

College Student said...

weird that you say there's none in the north east - I WENT TO SONIC ON SUNDAY!

There is one literally RIGHT accross the street from "The Spot" in binghamton.

when i went to uni of, we stopped there afterwords. good times!

T Fab P said...

hyperbole my dear son, there is 1 in MA, 5 in NJ, less then 10 in NYS. Texas has 900 - YES, 900. You can't pull yer six-gun and not hit a Sonic in Texas. NM has about 90. North Est is called their undeveloped market. In a perfect world there is a Sonic on every corner and a Caliches every block or two - more about Caliches in a soon to be Chronicle of Las Cruces...