March 6, 2010

The Great SouthWest Passage aka Chronicles of Las Cruces: Part 12 - "Ending on a sweet, sweet note…”


(Click Pix to embiggen!)

In this final episode of Chronicles of Las Cruces, I want to tell everyone about a Las Crucien hidden gem, a desert dessert (I’ve been wanting to do that since I started this series). It is the frozen custard masterpiece known as Caliches. Think Dairy Queen on steroids. Think Carvel with taste and without Fudgie the Whale (That is an inside NYC joke; if you want more about, check Wikipedia, it will tell you the whole story…)

It seems like everyone touts Caliches as a can not miss. We were eating some brick oven Zeffiro’s pizza when one of our new friends mentioned stopping at Caliches for a sweet something. Our realtor Sharon told us she will work out of a different office at times because there is a Caliches up the road from it. It seems as if the proposed opening of a new Caliches is met with the approving nods reserved for the birth of a grandchild. Yes, it is that awesome.

What is it you ask? The official website says “If you were looking for the tastiest, the freshest and the all around best frozen custard on a cone, you came to the right place!” That could be an understatement.

We decided to invite our Sharon out for a “Caliches’ lunch” because of all the time she had given us. When we arrived, a full one minute drive from her office, we ordered and she told us the story of the name. Not to write it all out here, if you’re interested in finding out how Scoopys became Caliches and what caliche is, go to http://www.caliches.com/about_us.htm for all the details.

Let me just say this about our lunch. We all got strawberry cheesecake caliches, with real berries and graham cracker crust mixed in. it was our Sharon’s favorite and now it is mine. One other important note is the fact that you cannot find out any nutritional information about this product. Generally this is not a good sign and the internet rumor is that they are afraid to publish what its status is because it might scare away the customers. But my feeling is just how do you analyze “goodness”. How can you put a number on “deliciousness”. Or as our Sharon said “How bad can it be, its yogurt!”

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

Well this is the end of the Chronicles of Las Cruces. I enjoyed writing about our trip because it helped to seal these memories in the steel trap I call my memory. Ah, what was I talking about? Oh yea, I hope you enjoyed reading about our adventures in New Mexico. I promise I will write about any other memories that might pop into this head now and again, and I ‘m sure there will be an addendum or two to The Chronicles. I will also keep you posted about the next step in our plan to relocate from Massachusetts. I think I might call it “Chronicles of the Mass Exodus”. What do you think?

2 comments:

clairz said...

Come on, Peng! Don't let this series end. I know you can find some more to say about Las Cruces, and I'm just having too much fun reading it all.

T Fab P said...

Thanks Clairz for the words of encouragement. I will still keep writing, and everything I write is tinged with the color of Las Cruces, i just won't be reporting on the 10 day trip. as a matter of fact today's post is a restaurant review a la penguin!