August 24, 2010

The Canonical Penguin: Characters of 215th Street - Mrs. Perkins and Mrs. Watson

When I was growing up in Queens, NY, each block was almost a neighborhood in and of itself. There were plenty of other kids to play with, lots to do, places to go and doorbells to ring and run from. Two people we did not ring and run on were Mrs. Watson and Mrs. Perkins and I would like to tell you a bit about both.

Mrs. Watson was a family friend, she had some connection to my mother but I do not know the circumstances of that relationship. She was a sturdy, traditionally built woman who you would see almost daily sweeping her porch or walking down her steps on the way to the grocery store or some civic meeting. She lived across the street from us, the third home in a row of 3 story Victorian giants. The first two were bought and demolished when we were very young, replaced by a dry cleaners and row of townhouses. But Mrs. Watson’s home remained intact. Her side yard was one that we would cut through to get to the other side of the block. Her yard was a bit overgrown with bushes and had no fence so we could slip through it without being seen. She always had a kind word for anyone who passed her on the street. She slipped getting out of my parents car one day, they may have been taking her to vote, and she broke her hip. I can remember my mother feeling responsible in some way even though she was not and it seemed that after that Mrs. Watson was never the same. We rarely saw her doing the things she had always done, rarely saw her out anymore. Years later I heard she had passed away and someone bought her house, tore it down and built more townhouses in the row.




(Not Mrs. Watson's home but a good representation of how I remember it...)

Mrs. Perkins lived up the block in the garden apartments. She was very old when I was a kid. She was rail thin, always wore fancy dresses and heels and lived in a dark, second floor apartment. We would be sent over to her place by my grandmother and she would give us some money to go to the local A&P to pick up a few items – milk, bread, some fresh ground coffee. She would take her money out of a silk purse and always found an extra dime or quarter for us. My grandmother would go over and visit her occasionally but we rarely if ever saw her out walking in town. Her skin was like parchment and I can remember seeing the veins on the back of her hand when she reached into the purse and being a bit scared but she was not someone to be scared of.

Both of these women were examples of the high society that existed in our neighborhood at that time and both exerted strong influences on all of us growing up. They were some of the characters in the neighborhood.

(These are stories about things that actually happened with plenty of witnesses. It has passed from the apocryphal to canonical in nature. Wiki says of canon – “material that is considered to be "genuine", "something that actually happened", or can be directly referenced as material produced by the original author or creator.”)

8 comments:

Mary Hulser said...

Hey, was there an A&P on Bell? And I hope my prominent veins don't scare you...oh, I mean I hope they DO scare you.

Mary Hulser said...

Also, we had a "Cookie Lady" on 169th Street. All you had to do was ring her bell and say hello. She always gave us "Social T's" Yum. Man, I gotta get back to blogging...you're making me remember things!imille

Mary Hulser said...

Oh boy, now you're gonna make fun of me for typing the stupid letters on the message instead of on the word verification line! Doh! I also hate those stupid letters, cause sometimes I don't get them right.

T Fab P said...

Yes, it was the A&P on ell, next to the train station. I remember the old creaky and uneven wooden floors and the produce display right at the front right of the store. Similar to that little grocery shop in West Brookfield by the common...

clairz said...

Gosh, I have those veins on the backs of my hands now, and they DO scare me.

Remember when (obviously you do) kids could actually run errands to the store by themselves? My dad used to send a note that it was okay for them to sell me a pack of Camels for him. HIS dad used to send him to the corner bar with a pitcher for some beer on tap! We're a scoundrelly* family.

*It's a word for real, I looked it up.

clairz said...

P.S. I missed that "traditionally built" phrase the first time through. Bless you!

You know, when you get old enough, you can submit some of this stuff to The Elder Storytelling Place and get it published for another audience. The Zees Go West is well represented there.

clairz said...

Mary, we had a lady who, if you knocked on her door, would tell us Bible stories illustrated with her felt board (the first I'd ever seen). I don't think my parents even knew we went there. Everyone trusted all the neighbors, it seems.

T Fab P said...

Clairz,
When I get old enough...WHEN I GET OLD ENOUGH? Many mornings i feel plenty old already. Another 'Southwest sista' moment about the beer - my dad used to tell us the story of going up the block to the "5 Corners Tavern" backdoor to purchase a 'pail' of beer for my grandfather. The DW and I actually purchased one of those 'lunch pails' on our honeymoon and kept it around for a while. Not sure if we still have it. And I will look into the Elder storyteller site...