August 22, 2010

The Penguin’s New Rating Scale


Behold the new Penguin Rating Scale! When I first started writing this blog I did not envision myself doing any sort of reviews of things. I guess I felt like I had an opinion and they were mine but was not willing to share my thoughts. Through the podcast process, Countless Screaming Argonauts (available on iTunes for free or on the website) I am expressing opinions about a variety of topics. Hence “reviewing” has sort of snuck into my writing. I have reviewed or participated in reviews of some restaurants, some books, websites, blogs, even an occasional movie and TV Theme Show Song.

As a result of all this, I have decided to develop a handy, dandy rating scale of all things deemed important. You will find one of these after any review situation I do. I will put the scare on the blog website in the right hand column for you to refer to. And now some details about the scale


0 Penguins – This means that the form in question is so bad, so lacking in value that even if I could, I would not even recommend Sarah Palin should try it. You know it must be bad!



1 Penguin – This is not a good thing, it is bad and without question not worth an effort. Trying this object will put you in the mind set of “I’ll never get that time back that I wasted with this!”



2 Penguins – Still not good, but maybe there is some redeeming value to this – maybe a cute actress, nice story, maybe it helps put you to sleep at night, at least you didn’t get acid reflux or the dry heaves, kind of not bad.




3 Penguins – Now we have turned the corner. Maybe the subject in question is not without flaws but at the very least you finished entertained. At least a couple of things need to go right here – it is close to home AND they make good margaritas, I like the book and Scarlett Johansen is in the movie kind of thing. A bit hard to make a total case for but you’re not embarrassed being seen leaving the premises or carrying it out of the bookstore.

4 Penguins – This represents an overall very positive experience. I will tell people about it in casual conversation (have you read any good books lately), defend it against negative karma (well I DID go there and liked it, maybe they were having a bad day?) and let my friends know it is a MUST DO.



5 Penguins – This is the Zagats of superiority! It wins the Car and Driver award, the US Transportation Board 5 Star Rating, the Lombardi Trophy of Excellence, an Academy Award, Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize all rolled into one. This is it!

So, enjoy the ratings system. Next up for a review will be a book I just finished, see you in the ratings scale…


No comments: