August 5, 2010

“The internet's what's got us where we are”: Books and Reading

I used to read a lot. Books, magazines, newspaper all were in my daily agenda. However, as I got older, I got out of the habit and really began to miss it. Three different things impacted this over the last several years.

First, I began reading newspapers on the internet. This is a great thing on one hand as I have lots of different options to choose from. On the negative side however , as we mentioned on our podcast many times including the episode “Is the internet making us stupid?” with all the availability one tends not to read in depth but rather skims in order to see what else might be available. I feel like I’m reading the same “number” of words but don’t feel it. And no, I do not miss the tangible feeling of holding the newspaper.

Secondly, when we went on a cruise a couple of years ago, I made an effort to read more. I figured I was relaxing and that was a great way to do it. In 10 days I read 6-7 books and reconnected with the feeling. My issue here is that with my eyesight not being what it once was and never being able to find my reading glasses, I just do not read as many books as I would like. Then, thru MillieJupiter, I discovered audio books and thru CollegeBoy, easy ways to download them from the internet. Add to this the fact that we got rid of cable TV and there is more time for this endeavor. And no, I do not miss the tangible feeling of holding a book (but a Nook might be a nice gift someday...)

Thirdly, I discovered “blogs” and shifted my reading for entertainment from magazines to this format. I use an RSS feed downloader, Google Reader, as so have a every day updating flow of blog material broken into four areas – individual blogs like “The Zees go West” and “Amputee Mommy,” Yankee Baseball Blogs like “River Ave. Blues” or “LoHud Yankee Blog,” Other sports related blogs on baseball, football and newspaper sports blogs, and Comedy Blogs like “Fail Blog” or “Cakewrecks” or “Fanboy.”





All of things have led me to feeling better, feeling as if my mind is more active, more willing to learn. I enjoy the things I read very much and expect to continue. In the next part of this series, I am going to talk about RSS readers and how to use them as well as mentioning a bunch of blogs I enjoy and think others might too. After that, a listing of books on my TLT – “To Listen To” list




(For those who may not have caught it, the new title of this series is a nod to my most recent fascination, the Jessi Slaughter Internet machine and her father’s propensity to utter internet meme’s. For more details about this, you could listen to the Countless Screaming Argonauts episode that talked about her and her situation…)

2 comments:

王辛江淑萍康 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Max said...

You do seem to be an even greater font of topics than before. Active consumption of media vs passive consumption of tv is my guess.