August 12, 2010

“The internet's what's got us where we are”: My TLT – “To Listen To” list

Recently on this blog I have reviewed a few books, a couple by Bill Bryson and Malcolm Gladwell. These are books I have been listening to, mainly on my commute to and from work. I have enjoyed them a lot and thought I would take a second or two to fill you in on what I have on the old iPod now and what I am planning to listen to soon.



Currently in the portable microchip is a historical fiction book, Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell. I enjoy historical fiction, my “dirty little secret” especially those that reference early man. I liked Jane Auel’s first couple of books until they became mammoth soap operas (did you see what I did there – mammoth = giant long books but also the wooly elephant like creature featured in her books…) When they tired me I move to a couple of other authors including Sue Harrison and Linda Lay Schuler who did similar books about Native Americans and new people in the new world. I am only about half way through Stonehenge but see it setting up to offer a plausible theory as to what Stonehenge was, is and how it got where it is now and why.

After this I am going to move to a couple of books by Neil Degrasse Tyson, currently the director of New York’s Haden Planetarium. I saw him several times on Colbert and Stewart, follow his musings on Twitter and have enjoyed a number of videos posted on YouTube with him explaining things. After Bryson’s book “A Short History of Almost Everything” I was looking for more information about the universe and the things in it. Tyson’s book The Pluto Chronicles" does feed this craving.

Finally, I am going to give a listen to Dubner and Levitt’s latest “SuperFreakonomics.” I really did enjoy their first book “Freakonomics” and figure as much for the second. I follow their blog at the NY Times and they always have interesting takes on the economics and sociology of out society and society at large.

For the future? I think I will keep on the historical fiction and science routes for a while. I want to look into some books in the paleontological vein – Neanderthal and early man historical fiction, and the like. I understand Robert Sawyer has done some and am going to look for the audio books for him. If anyone has a suggestion or two along this genre or the science field, I am open to it! I will keep you posted…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Maqz said...

I tried to listen to Dawkins The Blind Watchmaker. I really really wanted to listen to it and you graciously provided - unfortunately it is read by a computer and sadly is unlistenable.

I wonder if he had a human read it in another incarnation.