October 24, 2010

I’m Going to Mars!

Yes, you read that right, T Fab P, The Fabulous Penguin is going to Mars!

I ran across a note in Reddit (what a great social networking/news aggregator site) that pointed to another website, for the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in California. There you can read about and actually watch the building of the next Mars Rover, slated to go into space in 2011. On this page you can fill in your information and your name will be included with others on a microchip on the Mars Science Laboratory rover. I quickly filled it in for myself and became one of the 90,000 or so that have done this. I am going to Mars!




(click pictures to embiggen!)

Don’t stop there however, as the JPL website offers a myriad of things to do and ways to remain informed. There are twitter links, a live cam to watch progress on the building of the rover and an entire section dedicated to education with kids pages, student pages and teacher pages and resources. This is a wonderful place to go and lose yourself in the internet.

So, come and join me on Mars, send your name to be put on the rover microchip.

No comments: