October 5, 2010

Wedding Bells Were Ringing

I went to a wedding in NY this past weekend. It was a chance to see some relatives on the DW side of family as well as catch up with CollegeBoy who was also attending. There were four items of note that bear repeating. Here they are:

1 - The ceremony was in the church I attended as a youngster and when I arrived (with pants and that is another story to follow…) I saw someone who looked familiar. My first thought was he was one of the distant relatives maybe I had met previously but then I realized he was helping with the church activities. When the ceremony was over, I had an occasion to talk to him and he introduced himself as someone I remembered from grammar school, a full 42 years ago. As he said his first name, Owen, I recalled his last name, unique as it was and we chatted about my dad, who he knew, some of the priests that I was associated with when I lived there and my brother who was a year younger than him. A surprising start to the festivities…

2 – As we exited the church, there was a limo/bus for the wedding party ( a large one, tipping the scales at 21 people, yes 21), parked in front of the bus was a Mister Softee Truck – a truck that sells soft ice cream and frozen novelties. At first I thought this tacky on his part, until I was told that this was part of the celebration and that ice cream for all was free. A unique, funky touch that pointed out one of the childhood memories I miss…




3 – The wedding reception was held at an Aquarium way out on Long Island. Cocktail hour outside in a plaza near the penguin habitat (fitting), dining inside by the tanks holding thousands of fish in millions of gallons of water. There was a shark tank that people walked thru constantly, which I think was the hit of the evening…




Why yes, yes the Penguins have arrived!




Mrsfabp with a drink in her hand!




The band

4 – We stopped at a Jewish Deli on the way home for late lunch – both Mrsfabp and I had brisket sandwiches on real Jewish Rye bread. This is a treat we miss very much. We go to Water Street in Worcester occasionally where there are some really good delis around. Makes my mouth water…



Real Jewish Rye Bread!
A no pants story to follow...



2 comments:

clairz said...

I saw the photos on Facebook and am glad for the explanations about the ice cream truck and the aquarium. What a unique celebration!

You guys are looking great and I hope we are looking at you in person one of these days. Can't wait for the pants explanation!

Max said...

Something about Free Wilie?