October 7, 2010

Pants at Home


(Not my pants, but ones I wish I had in NYC!)

This is why I can’t have nice things…

So as mentioned in previous post, we went to NY for a wedding this past weekend. We left early Saturday morning, planned to stay over in a hotel on Long Island and return on Sunday. This meant packing a bag to take with us. We usually over pack; not so much this time.

All week long I had planned and got ready all I needed to bring including medication, clothes to wear travelling back and clothes for the wedding. We were to meet relatives in Queens and change before the wedding.

I bought a new shirt. Mrsfabp bought me a smart tie to go with it and I took out my dress pants and sports jacket for the trip down. Mrsfabp and I packed the garment bag; I helped her by holding and passing hangers through top of the bag. I did not notice anything amiss. Did not notice I forgot one item.

Sitting in hotel room, one hour before wedding, I grabbed the garment bag to get dressed. Shirt, check. Jacket, check. Tie, check. Pants, ahh, pants? Pants!!!!! No pants /sigh

I am a big guy, not east to fit, but this is NYC, the city that never sleeps, the city where if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere, city. A few frantic phone calls and I found a store close by that was open and had something for me.

60 minutes on the clock. GO!

20 minutes ride to Lake Success Shopping Center. 10 minutes riding around looking for a store right in front of my nose. Stress does bad things to my ability to reason. Store is empty and a sales girl is very helpful and pleasant and gets me into the changing room with a couple of options. After a few minutes I choose a pair and move to cashier area. A man there is trying on watches, being helped by the only store person. Behind him another man is looking to check out and then there is me. It is 20 minutes until the wedding begins. I had to do it. I asked the man if he minded if I went in front of him because I was late for a wedding. He allowed me to go. The clerk heard me and opened the other register so I could pay while the first gentleman continued to try on watches. I paid and left the store.

When I started the car, I had 17 minutes to return but there was traffic. I arrived at the church just as the wedding party was getting to the front door.

Piece of cake!

2 comments:

clairz said...

You've got to make a movie--this stuff is just too good!

Max said...

Trivia from Tuesday:

What is the fastest swimming bird?

The Penguin~

You float through the city like you lived there! ;)