October 3, 2010

This is the Best Time of the Year for Sports

I have not written about sports too often in this blog. It is not because I do not like sports, but rather I think that sports has a limited appeal to a wide spectrum of people who might read this and I feel it is important not to bore but to entertain. If I started to talk about golf or curling, then this would serve to limit people who might be interested in what I have to say. Consequently I have generally avoided this. That is until now.

This time of year is my favorite time. First and foremost, I love the fall. Cool days, leaves turning colors. The baseball season is winding down, only a few games left before the playoffs and less than 5 weeks remain in the season. College football has been going on for almost a month but it really doesn’t hit the “must see” stage until closer to Thanksgiving. Professional football has just started and it is too early for your team to be totally out of it yet and there is 3 full months of the season and then a month of the playoffs to look ahead to. I like hockey and college basketball and these will be starting soon enough. No, I do not like nor do I watch the NBA. So this is a time of transitions – baseball to college football, to pro football, to college basketball, to spring training, to “March Madness” to hockey championship. But baseball and the World Series and pro football are where it is at.

It usually is best if the teams you like, that you follow, that you live and die for, are at least competitive. For me, this begins with the NY Yankees and I must admit I am not feeling too confident with their chances. Despite their mastery of the Red Sox this year, I am afraid their pitching and ultimately their age, will catch up to them before the World Series is upon us. I have no horse in the College Football race even though I wish they would get with the program and develop a playoff system. As for Pro Football, I am also afraid that the NY Giants have little chance of getting closer to the Super Bowl than I do. For College hoops, I expect, as always, that Duke will do well but also welcome the opportunity to see if the New Mexico kids do well, especially in light of the plan to move there someday in the near future.

So that is my sports roundup for this fall day – Yankees a maybe, Giants sorry, Lets Go Duke!

2 comments:

BZ said...

yes,fp,we named the new pup for the former red sox pitcher, Pedro Martinez-----sort of :-)

wish you were with us last night to see Boise State hang a 59-0 on NMSU--the Boise QB Kellen Moore is very impressive and on the Heismann short list---well deserved!!!!

T Fab P said...

Re heard a great story about Pedro from one of my wife's nieces at the wedding this weekend. will have to tell you it...very funny!